Sunday, May 3, 2009

Women only wash their bras six times a year?!

Women may primp and groom themselves all day long and even take multiple showers or baths in a day, but there’s one disgusting habit this generation is guilty of: not washing our bras.
A new survey taken by 2,025 women has found that while we own an average of 15 bras, we only put them in the wash six times a year. SIX TIMES? That’s it? Yikes! Actually, they calculated that this means we rotate through our collection, basically wear the same bra seven times before cleaning. I don’t know about you, but for me that (embarrassingly) sounds about right.
I mean, they’re bras, not panties! I blog from home, and rarely sweat. Is that really gross to wear one seven times before washing if it’s spread out over two months? My problem is, I actually splurge on nice undergarments and fear that washing them frequently will cause damage to the lace and underwires and what not. I’m too lazy to hand wash—which I really should—so I bought one of those Tide bags you fill up and throw in the washing machine. Why don’t I do this more frequently? I don’t know. But the survey found that ignoring the stains on dirty bras—stale perfume, body lotion, fake tan and sweat—are actually what limit the life of a bra.
The problem is that this lack of washing means that bras look tatty, grey and dirty which obviously doesn’t look good but is also far from advantageous for the life of the bra,” says Dr. Beckmann Stain guru Lesley Naylor. "The extra dirt is clearly not good for the wearer’s skin as bras are fitted snug to the chest and this build up of bacteria can create irritation."
We know, we know. We promise to wash more.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow that's random!! I've just recently started wearing my bras twice before washing them b/c I used to wash them all the time and the wires would come out and the pads would start to wrinkle. But six times a year with no wash, i don't think i could do it yo!

Ashley said...

LOL, Wow, this sounds pretty damn accurate to me. I know plenty of women, including myself, who wear our bras over and over again

Unknown said...

sounds pretty accurate to me. i used to think maybe it was just me, but if i actually do do things like sports i wear a sports bra so thats easy to wash. or i wash them after i sweat.

Unknown said...

OMG! I can't believe I am reading all this. I wear my bra 1 time & in the hamper it goes. I have about 20 in various colors & change ALL my clothes daily. If you have several bras & rotate them, they will last a really long time. Patti, Mesa, Az.

Unknown said...

Unbelievable. I just can't believe that women would wear their bra more than once. It just seems so unsanitary. Thank goodness my daughters are following in my footsteps of wearing their bra and then putting it in the laundry.

Anonymous said...

The main destroyer of bras is putting them in the dryer. Never do this. Always let your delicate undies and all bras line dry. All cotton underpants take a long time to air dry, but the heat of the dryer will destroy the elastic of waistbands and bra backs and straps. Buy a few more cotton panties than you think you need.

Unknown said...

i only own 3 bras and they cant be put in the dryer so they only get washed about once a month if i washed them everyday i wouldnt be albe to wear them for the next few days intil they dried so id be without a bra. i only have 3 because unlike most people im a 32 FF so i have to buy my bras specialty and they cost $300. i dont think it is that unsanitary because if im going to do anything that would make me sweat i would wear my sports bra which i wash after each use.

Unknown said...

Sanitation and personal hygiene are something really important for our health,i relate the washing of bras and panties to the atmospheric conditionds in which we live,those living in north ,really do washings with long spells,people of warm ,temperate areas get their undies washed at fairly quick interval,any way,our friend with 32FF size and others can contact us ,since i run my own undergarments shop in Dubai,so when u feel free ,contact me,bye

bamalane said...

WASH YOUR BRAS!!! Air dry for the most part, but at least once a month put them in the dryer after a wash. This further kills bacteria. Wash them when you are taking a shower if you are really concerned about their delicacy. If you paid a lot for your bras and worry that washing will destroy them then they weren't worth the money you paid for them. A good bra will stand the test of time. By the time you do wear one out it will be well worth it to replace it. Wash your bras ladies!!