Sunday, February 1, 2009

Mehndi Body Art

Mehndi Body Art is a Henna dye applied to the skin to form a temporary tattoo. This process dates back at least 5,000 years.
As they say…anything for a story. On a recent Saturday Morning, I braved the road construction to reach Faces II Day Spa of Mequon, Wisconsin. I was about to receive my very first Mehndi Body Art Tattoo.

The artist, Julia was ready for me the minute I walked in. A full time college student, Julia explained that she doesn’t have time in her life for the artwork that she loves to do, so she found a way to combine her art skills with a part time job as a Mehndi artist. “Mehndi,” she explained, “is a Henna tattoo that is applied to the skin as a paste. The paste reacts to the skin’s natural heat, dyeing the skin in the design that was applied.”

Julia had several design books to choose from. I marveled at the intricate designs available, traditionally applied to hands and feet, but a few very brave souls in her portrait portfolio had had some beautiful belly-button work done. Lacking that particular kind of courage, I opted for a simple curly-cue design forming a bracelet around my right wrist.

The procedure is not at all complicated. Julia likes to mix her own Henna paste, but it also is available in pre-mixed bottles. Quite the naturalist, Julia said she prefers her own mixes because then she knows they are preservative-free. The same theme applies to the resulting color.

Because Henna is a natural plant product, the finished stain could be any variety of hue from tan to deep brown, occasionally red. It is possible to find some colored pre-made mixes, but that would be artificial coloring, which strongly contradicts with the ancient art of Mehndi.

Using a small bottle identical to those used for fabric painting, Julia quickly copied the design I had chosen, freehand, rather than using any type of pattern. When I remarked at how steady her hand was at such speed she laughed, “comes with practice.” Although most people choose traditional Mehndi designs, she admits she can copy any design a customer wants. Less than 15 minutes after she started, I had a black, puffy design on my wrist, and I was offered the option of having her blow-dry it, or just air dry. Patience not being a strong virtue, after 5 minutes I changed my mind and requested the blow dryer.

Julia explained the care I would need to give my tattoo. As soon as it was dry she blotted on a mixture of half lemon juice and half sugar. “The acidity of the lemon juice will darken the dye, and the sugar will help the lemon juice adhere. Both also help to moisten the paste which also aids the darkening process.” A customer who does not want to stay and wait for drying can easily do this step at home. I was to leave the paste on for approximately 5 hours, and avoid getting it wet. The paste is then easily flaked off, and olive oil wiped on to remove any paste residue. The resulting tattoo will last from 2 to 4 weeks, depending on how often and with what type of soaps are used to wash it.

While doing my research on the history of Mehndi, I found out just how fortunate I am to have my new Henna tattoo. I am now safe from The Evil Eye, Black Magic, harmful Genies, and a host of other dangerous supernatural forces. The art of applying Henna (Mehndi) dates back at least 5,000 years. It originated in Egypt and the Middle East, and was spread to India by the Muslims. The most traditional use of Mehndi was during special occasions and celebrations; weddings, births, deaths, even first menstruations. At these life events, women were thought to be most vulnerable to evil spirits and the application of Henna was a form of protection for them.

Individual designs have specific meanings; a few of which are luck, health, fertility, sun, moon, etc. The Art of Mehndi is now gaining popularity in the United States, with celebrities such as Madonna, Demi Moore, and The Artist Occasionally Known as Prince displaying their Henna tattoos.

The cost of my Mehndi tattoo was really quite reasonable – around $12. Prices range up to $35 for the more intricate designs.

Getting a Mehndi Body Art Tattoo was a fun experience for me. It is nice to know that a painless, non-permanent expression of individuality is available.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice article! But the history is not quite accurate -- we don't know where henna originated because its use predates written history - best guesses are Fertile Crescent where Iran & Iraq are today. There is some evidence of henna use in India long before the Moghul Empire (see Caves of Ajanta), so "Muslims" bringing henna to India is not quite accurate although the Moghuls introduced the elaborate henna patterns popular in India. Henna was used by Mediterranean, African and Mesopotamian cultures long before the onset of Islam. Today it is enjoyed by many cultures, religions and countries.
Thanks for keeping the mehndi flame going! Ciao, Kree at HennaTribe.com